Cafe Grumpy in NY Bans Laptops
Cafe Grumpy in Chelsea, NY is fed up with extension cords being ran all over their store. Although their Brooklyn location welcomes those with laptops and noise cancelling headphones. The owners, Caroline Bell and Chris Timbrell have been the target of much bad publicity for their ban in the Chelsea location.
Cafe Grumpy has opened up a third location with a different design intended to forever fix their “laptop” problems. The new location in Park Slope has no chairs…at all, unless you count the bench outside of the coffee bar for those who choose to linger. It does have a counter in the rear of the shop and a chest-high table in the front.
“I don’t think I’d ever do a bigger space with tables and chairs again,” Ms. Bell said. “I appreciate the idea of when you go someplace and it feels like a home away from home, but I don’t think it should be a home office away from home.”
This type of grab-n-go coffee bar is becoming more common around the country and especially in New York. “There’s clearly a philosophy behind the coffee bar,” said Christian Geckeler, who describes his ongoing odyssey to taste the country’s best coffee on Manseekingcoffee.com. “It puts the emphasis on the coffee and the barista.”
To read more check out the New York Times article at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/dining/25coffee.html
- Getting Frosty Cold With Coffee - July 1, 2014
- Coffee Flour Anyone? - April 11, 2014
- What Would Happen If Starbucks Had A Bouncer? - March 26, 2014
- Spice Up Your Holidays With Coffee - December 20, 2013
- The Holidays Bring Out the Best in One Starbucks’ Customer - December 19, 2013
- The Perfect Coffee Mug? - December 18, 2013
- We charge extra for rude???? - December 15, 2013
- Kopi Luwak Coffee Can Now Be Authenticated! - August 28, 2013
- Coffee, Your Liver’s New Best Friend - August 21, 2013
- Coffee Lovers Choose Baby’s Name For Undecisive Parents - June 26, 2013